Single Touch Payroll is now live for almost a month now … how have you gone? It is important to remember, that all businesses will need to use STP as of July 2019, so don’t think just because you don’t need to use it now, you won’t have to think about it.
We’ve continually shared a lot of information about STP leading up to the release of it, however it’s an on-going experience that is only going to be something you have to get used to. We thought it would be a good idea to recap just what’s going on:
- What are the current requirements of Single Touch Payroll?
- If you’re a business that has had 20 or more employees since April 1st 2018, you should be using STP right now to process your payroll. This is an Australian Government requirement.
- If you’re not a business that has 20 or more employees, you don’t have to start using STP until July 1st 2019, however, you can start using it voluntarily if you wish. Once you start though, you are locked in and have to keep using it.
- Do I need special Payroll software to be able to use Single Touch Payroll?
- Yes you do need Payroll software that is compliant with sending your payroll data to the ATO.
- If your payroll software has not been updated to allow for STP lodgements, you need start using one that does, such as Accentis Enterprise.
- How do I send my Single Touch Payroll information to the ATO?
- If using Accentis Enterprise, you will need to sign up to one of our two Transport Providers, Ozedi or MessageXchange to send your data.
- You can if you wish, manually send your STP information to the ATO, provided the service you use allows for manual uploads.
- If you don’t use Accentis Enterprise, why not? No seriously, you will just need to find out the details of how you securely send your STP lodgements.
- Does it cost me anything?
- Accentis will not charge you to send your data to the Transport Provider. We have written an API communication to these two providers to give you best possible streamlined service available.
- The Transport Providers do charge you based on the amount of data that you need to send to the ATO. Accentis is unable to provide any information on which service will best suit your business. We have links available to find all the information for Ozedi or MessageXchange.
- Is there anything else I need to know?
- Not really, unless you are just unsure and need someone to talk to. If that’s the case, fill in this form, and we’ll more than happy to get back to you with your questions as soon as possible.
Remember, as of July 1st 2019, all businesses in Australia must be using Single Touch Payroll to lodge their employee payments to the ATO. We’re here to help, so if you need us, please contact us so we can help.
That’s right, Single Touch Payroll is now live and being used throughout Australia.
There’s not much chance that you’ve missed out on hearing about Single Touch Payroll or STP in the last couple of months, but if you have, boy have you dodged a bunch of news. Single Touch Payroll is now well and truly running along rather smoothly, despite a lot of people unaware of their obligations until the last minute. There are probably a few businesses out there who have managed to miss the memo and will need to catch up relatively quickly.
At Accentis, we have noticed a huge increase in businesses signing up within the last week of the financial year, and now that it has been and gone, what’s next?
There are 3 camps you can be in at the moment with STP:
- You’re a business and 20+ staff and you’re using STP without a hitch
- You’re a business with fewer than 20 staff, but elected to start using STP anyway, or
- You’re a business with fewer than 20 staff and are going to wait until July 1st 2019 to start using STP
If you’re in camps 1 and 2, you might have already posted some pay runs and sent some data along to the ATO, as required. How did everything go, no issues with a transfer or errors on the screen? In Accentis Enterprise, you can run an STP Dashboard report to make sure everything is going along perfectly well. There shouldn’t really be any errors and it would be great to see all reports sending without a hitch. Of course, if you have any issues, we’re just an email away!
If you’re a business that hasn’t yet had to use STP, remember that come July 1st 2019, every business in Australia regardless of the number of employees will need to use STP. You can’t dodge a bullet forever. Now is the perfect time to read about it, learn what’s required, and find out the answers to any questions you might have. We’re here to help you if you need it, and you can keep visiting our dedicated STP page to make sure you know everything you need.
Single Touch Payroll from our perspective has been a huge success, with only minimal frustrations that we have noticed. We created a video to show how to sign up and register with Ozedi, one of our Transport Providers, so if you were thinking of choosing them instead of MessageXchange, you can follow along really easily.
If you would like more information on STP or any other service that we provide, don’t be afraid to touch base so we can help you out as soon as possible.